Saturday, October 28, 2006

DUH!!!

Duh!! That is what I say about a new study that was done – and made big news this week. According to a Washington Post article, heavier Americans burn more gas. Again I say, “Duh!!”

It sure makes one wonder where intellectual curiosity has gone. Apparently a study was actually done on this at the University or Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. My question is, “Why bother?” It is just basic common sense that the heavier an object is, the more energy required to move it. I would be willing to bet that any Junior High School student knows this intuitively. From the article:

"What we have here is a relationship that exists between the obesity epidemic and fuel consumption," said Sheldon H. Jacobson, a professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and a co-author of the study. "Now, does it mean we should all go out and lose weight? Of course not. But it does mean that there is a relationship and we should be aware of it."

LOL. I wish Professor Jacobson could tell me of any person of average intelligence who was not aware of this “relationship” before this ground-breaking and truly top priority study. In my own mind I wonder where the idea for this study came from, and if there were any government grants given to accomplish it.

I guess there is one redeeming thing that came from the study. Basically, if people lose weight, we as a country will use less gasoline and therefore be less dependent on foreign oil. Besides the fact that this is just basic common sense, somehow I think there are easier ways of becoming less dependent. Gee – opening up our own oil field resources for development is the first thing that comes to mind. And then we could hire a bunch of new workers with the added benefit that if we hired heavy people, they might lose weight. LOL.

Just a point of view…..