Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Middle East War

I think it is high-time we had a discussion about the war going on in the Middle East. Unlike many of the articles that I write, this one will be short and simple. There will be no quotes. Simply my opinion.

What I believe is that it is about time that Hezbollah (or whatever your favorite spelling happens to be) was crushed as a viable fighting force. It is time that they were taken down and their monetary and material funding is cut off. Of course, that last part will take international cooperation from many sources as I believe that both Syria and Iran will have to be cut off from their jihadist army.

On to Israel. I think that Israel has the right to defend itself, and I think that armed response was correct even though it was seemingly for such a small transgression – that of kidnapping two soldiers.

However, I believe that there needs to be a large international effort to help the people of Lebanon who are being hurt by this war. They are not Hezbollah, yet so much of the infrastructure of the country is being destroyed, they are seriously affected. I understand the strategic necessity of destroying the infrastructure – to keep Hezbollah from being re-supplied, but I truly feel that plans need to be put in place now to help the Lebanese citizens recover from this action. And as much as I hate to say this, I think the US should be one of the countries to take the lead in helping Lebanon.

I am really interested in discussion on this subject so feel free to comment.